[ceph-users] Replaced a disk, first time. Quick question

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Dec 4 08:39:07 PST 2017

Howdy,

I replaced a disk today because it was marked as Predicted failure. These were the steps I took

ceph osd out osd17
ceph -w #waited for it to get done
systemctl stop ceph-osd at osd17
ceph osd purge osd17 --yes-i-really-mean-it
umount /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-osdX

I noticed that after I ran the 'osd out' command that it started moving data around.

19446/16764 objects degraded (115.999%) <-- I noticed that number seems odd

So then I replaced the disk
Created a new label on it
Ceph-deploy osd prepare OSD5:sdd

THIS time, it started rebuilding

40795/16764 objects degraded (243.349%) <-- Now I'm really concerned.

Perhaps I don't quite understand what the numbers are telling me but is it normal for it to rebuilding more objects than exist?

Thanks,
-Drew