[ceph-users] injecting args output misleading

Brady Deetz bdeetz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:12:27 PST 2017

I'm not sure if this is a bug where ceph incorrectly reports to the user or
if this is just a matter of misleading language. Thought I might bring it
up in any case.

I under stand that "may require restart" is fairly direct in its ambiguity,
but this probably shouldn't be ambiguous without a good technical reason.
But, I find "not observed" to be quite misleading. These arg injections are
very clearly being observed. Maybe the output should be "not observed by
'component x', change may require restart." But, I'd still like a
definitive yes or no for service restarts required by arg injects.

I've run into this on osd args as well.

Ceph Luminous 12.2.1 (CentOS 7.4.1708)

[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph --admin-daemon
/var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.mon0.asok config show | grep "mon_allow_pool_delete"
    "mon_allow_pool_delete": "false",

[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.0 injectargs
'--mon_allow_pool_delete=true'
injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'true' (not observed, change may require
restart)
[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.1 injectargs
'--mon_allow_pool_delete=true'
injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'true' (not observed, change may require
restart)
[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.2 injectargs
'--mon_allow_pool_delete=true'
injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'true' (not observed, change may require
restart)

[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph --admin-daemon
/var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.mon0.asok config show | grep "mon_allow_pool_delete"
    "mon_allow_pool_delete": "true",

[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.0 injectargs
'--mon_allow_pool_delete=false'
injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'false' (not observed, change may
require restart)
[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.1 injectargs
'--mon_allow_pool_delete=false'
injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'false' (not observed, change may
require restart)
[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph tell mon.2 injectargs
'--mon_allow_pool_delete=false'
injectargs:mon_allow_pool_delete = 'false' (not observed, change may
require restart)

[root at mon0 ceph-admin]# ceph --admin-daemon
/var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.mon0.asok config show | grep "mon_allow_pool_delete"
    "mon_allow_pool_delete": "false",

Thanks for the hard work, devs!