[ceph-users] Running Jewel and Luminous mixed for a longer period

Graham Allan gta at umn.edu
Thu Dec 7 09:02:35 PST 2017

On 12/06/2017 03:20 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

>> Op 5 december 2017 om 18:39 schreef Richard Hesketh <richard.hesketh at rd.bbc.co.uk>:

>>> You don't *have* to update the OS in order to update to Luminous, do you? Luminous is still supported on Ubuntu 14.04 AFAIK.
>>>
>>> Though obviously I understand your desire to upgrade; I only ask because I am in the same position (Ubuntu 14.04, xfs, sysvinit), though happily with a smaller cluster. Personally I was planning to upgrade ours entirely to Luminous while still on Ubuntu 14.04, before later going through the same process of decommissioning one machine at a time to reinstall with CentOS 7 and Bluestore. I too don't see any reason the mixed Jewel/Luminous cluster wouldn't work, but still felt less comfortable with extending the upgrade duration.
>>>

> Well, the sysvinit part bothers me. This setup uses the 'devs' part in ceph.conf and such. It's all a kind of hacky system.
>
> Most of these systems have run Dumpling on Ubuntu 12.04 and have been upgraded ever since. They are messy.
>
> We'd like to reprovision all disks with ceph-volume while we are at it. It would be one step by doing the OS and Ceph at the same time.
>
> I've never tried to run Luminous under 14.04. Looking at the DEB packages there doesn't seem to be sysvinit support anymore in Luminous either.

I upgraded our trusty cluster from jewel to luminous yesterday - it went
pretty smoothly. This cluster has been around for a while too (firefly
anyway) and a few issues have popped up, of which I will be asking
questions separately, but I think due to historic cruft rather than
anything inherent to luminous. Perhaps luminous checks things more
thoroughly than jewel? The sysvinit startup certainly works fine.

I was also anxious to upgrade to Centos 7 to match our other couple of
clusters, as I finally felt I understood the systemd/ceph-disk udev
startup process; but it sounds like that is going away as well!

Graham
--
Graham Allan
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute - gta at umn.edu