[ceph-users] oVirt/RHEV and Ceph

Konstantin Shalygin k0ste at k0ste.ru
Wed Nov 1 01:19:41 PDT 2017

> I haven't seen much talk about direct integration with oVirt. Obviously it
> kind of comes down to oVirt being interested in participating. But, is the
> only hold-up getting development time toward an integration or is there
> some kind of friction between the dev teams?
We use Ceph Kraken with oVirt 4.1 for a half year.

You need OpenStack Cinder as a mapper.oVirt manager does not know how to
communicate with the RBD itself, but know about Cinder API. Cinder can
operate with many storage, oVirt use it as "External provider". May be
looks ugly, but works flawless. I was installed RDO on livbirt across
with oVirt Manager - so it's still one bare metal device for manage
everything. Also this is single point of failure, but not affected on
running VM, because VM don't know anything about Cinder, qemu
communicate with Ceph cluster only. Just make you engine-backup and
OpenStack database backup once at hour/day.

There <http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2017-October/084796.html>,
on ovirt-users mail list Matthias Leopold perform first tests with
Luminous. I'm on the way to Luminous, too.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Shalygin