[ceph-users] Slow requests in cache tier with rep_size 2

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Wed Nov 1 02:14:05 PDT 2017

Hi experts,

we have upgraded our cluster to Luminous successfully, no big issues
so far. We are also testing cache tier with only 2 SSDs (we know it's
not recommended), and there's one issue to be resolved:

Evertime we have to restart the cache OSDs we get slow requests with
impacts on our client VMs. We never restart both SSDs at the same
time, of course, so we are wondering why the slow requests? What
exactly is happening with a replication size of 2? We assumed that if
one SSD is restarted the data is still available on the other disc, we
didn't expect any problems. But this occurs everytime we have to
restart them. Can anyone explain what is going on there? We could use
your expertise on this :-)

Best regards,
Eugen

--
Eugen Block                             voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : eblock at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983