[ceph-users] rocksdb: Corruption: missing start of fragmented record

Michael mehe.schmid at gmx.ch
Wed Nov 1 14:54:53 PDT 2017

Christian Balzer wrote:
> Your exact system configuration (HW, drives, controller, settings, etc)
> would be interesting as I can think of plenty scenarios on how to corrupt
> things that normally shouldn't be affected by such actions
Oh, the hardware in question is consumer grade and not new. Some old i7
machine. But my current guess is that the specific hardware is
semi-unrelated.

I think there probably is just a WAL log or entry in that that wasn't
finished writing to disk or corrupted. But WAL aren't something that
should be fully assumed to be complete and correct in the case of some
failure, right? They are WAL.

If this can't be fixed automatically with some command, I would simply
like to have a look at & tinker trivially the with these DB files if
possible (which I still haven't figured a way how to do).

Christian Balzer wrote:
> Now that bit is quite disconcerting, though you're one release behind the
> curve and from what I read .2 has plenty more bug fixes coming.
Fair point. I just tried with 12.2.1 (on pre-release Ubuntu bionic now).

Doesn't change anything - fsck doesn't fix rocksdb, the bluestore won't
mount, the OSD won't activate and the error is the same.

Is there any fix in .2 that might address this, or do you just mean that
in general there will be bug fixes?

Thanks for your response!

- Michael