[ceph-users] Deleting large pools

David Turner drakonstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 09:39:47 PDT 2017

Jewel 10.2.7; XFS formatted OSDs; no dmcrypt or LVM.  I have a pool that I
deleted 16 hours ago that accounted for about 70% of the available space on
each OSD (averaging 84% full), 370M objects in 8k PGs, ec 4+2 profile.
Based on the rate that the OSDs are freeing up space after deleting the
pool, it will take about a week to finish deleting the PGs from the OSDs.

Is there anything I can do to speed this process up?  I feel like there may
be a way for me to go through the OSDs and delete the PG folders either
with the objectstore tool or while the OSD is offline.  I'm not sure what
Ceph is doing to delete the pool, but I don't think that an `rm -Rf` of the
PG folder would take nearly this long.

Thank you all for your help.