[ceph-users] Small cluster for VMs hosting

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 05:16:27 PST 2017

Hi to all
I've been far from ceph from a couple of years (CephFS was still unstable)

I would like to test it again, some questions for a production cluster for
VMs hosting:

1. Is CephFS stable?

2. Can I spin up a 3 nodes cluster with mons, MDS and osds on the same
machine?

3. Hardware suggestions?

4. How can I understand the ceph health status output, in details? I've not
seen any docs about this

5. How can I know if cluster is fully synced or if any background operation
(scrubbing, replication, ...) Is running?

6. Is 10G Ethernet mandatory? Currently I only have 4 gigabit nic (2 for
public traffic, 2 for cluster traffic)