[ceph-users] Cephfs snapshot work

John Spray jspray at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 06:45:04 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Brady Deetz <bdeetz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any existing fuzzing tools you'd recommend? I know about ceph osd
> thrash, which could be tested against, but what about on the client side? I
> could just use something pre-built for posix, but that wouldn't coordinate
> simulated failures on the storage side with actions against the fs. If there
> is not any current tooling for coordinating server and client simulation,
> maybe that's where I start.

We do have "thrasher" classes for randomly failing MDS daemons in the
main test suite, but those will only be useful for you if you're
working on automated tests that run inside that framework
(https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/qa/tasks/mds_thrash.py)

If you're working on a local cluster, then it's pretty simple (and
useful) to write a small shell script that e.g. sleeps a few minutes,
then does a "ceph mds fail" on a random rank.

Something more sophisticated that would include client failures is a
long standing wishlist item for the automated testing.

John