[ceph-users] Libvirt hosts freeze after ceph osd+mon problem

Jan Pekař - Imatic jan.pekar at imatic.cz
Tue Nov 7 07:27:23 PST 2017

I migrated virtual to my second node which is running
qemu-kvm version 1:2.1+dfsg-12+deb8u6 (from debian oldstable)
the same situation - frozen after approx 30-40 seconds when
"libceph: osd6 down" appeared in syslog (not before).
Also my other virtual on first node was frozen in the same time.
Both virtuals are running debian stretch, one with
4.9.0-3-amd64 kernel, second with
4.10.17-2-pve kernel

Cannot test Windows virtuals now.

One of my virtuals is on pool, where i forced primary OSD to other nodes
(OSDs) than I'm stopping and I have pool min_size 1, so I assume (when
PRIMARY OSD is still online and available) I shouldn't have issue with
disk writes or reads. But that virtual is also affected and don't
survive MON+OSD stopping.

I tried to set

[global]
heartbeat interval = 5
[osd]
osd heartbeat interval = 3
osd heartbeat grace = 10

in my ceph.conf

and after my test I got no "heartbeat_check: no reply from" in syslog,
just "libceph: osd6 down" and virtuals survived that.
That can be workaround for me, but it can also be only coincidence that
other part of mon code disabled osd before my problem occured. I also
assume, that everybody else is using defaults heartbeat settings.
My cluster was installed on luminous (not migrated from previous
versions) and node OS is stretch (one node is lenny).

With regards
Jan Pekar
Imatic

--