[ceph-users] Bluestore osd_max_backfills

Scottix scottix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:54:50 PST 2017

Hey,
I recently updated to luminous and started deploying bluestore osd nodes. I
normally set osd_max_backfills = 1 and then ramp up as time progresses.

Although with bluestore it seems like I wasn't able to do this on the fly
like I used to with XFS.

ceph tell osd.* injectargs '--osd-max-backfills 5'

osd.34: osd_max_backfills = '5'
osd.35: osd_max_backfills = '5' rocksdb_separate_wal_dir = 'false' (not
observed, change may require restart)
osd.36: osd_max_backfills = '5'
osd.37: osd_max_backfills = '5'

As I incorporate more bluestore osds not being able to control this is
going to drastically affect recovery speed and with the default as 1, on a
big rebalance, I would be afraid restarting a bunch of osd.

Any advice in how to control this better?

Thanks,
Scott