[ceph-users] Ubuntu upgrade Zesty => Aardvark, Implications for Ceph?

Ranjan Ghosh ghosh at pw6.de
Mon Nov 13 03:41:51 PST 2017

Hi everyone,

In January, support for Ubuntu Zesty will run out and we're planning to
upgrade our servers to Aardvark. We have a two-node-cluster (and one
additional monitoring-only server) and we're using the packages that
come with the distro. We have mounted CephFS on the same server with the
kernel client in FSTab. AFAIK, Aardvark includes Ceph 12.0. What would
happen if we used the usual "do-release-upgrade" to upgrade the servers
one-by-one? I assume the procedure described here
"http://ceph.com/releases/v12-2-0-luminous-released/" (section "Upgrade
from Jewel or Kraken") probably won't work for us, because
"do-release-upgrade" will upgrade all packages (including the ceph ones)
at once and then reboots the machine. So we cannot really upgrade only
the monitoring nodes. And I'd rather avoid switching to PPAs beforehand.
So, what are the real consequences if we upgrade all servers one-by-one
with "do-release-upgrade" and then reboot all the nodes? Is it only the
downtime why this isnt recommended or do we lose data? Any other
recommendations on how to tackle this?

Thank you / BR

Ranjan