[ceph-users] Moving bluestore WAL and DB after bluestore creation

Ronny Aasen ronny+ceph-users at aasen.cx
Fri Nov 17 08:04:36 PST 2017

On 16.11.2017 09:45, Loris Cuoghi wrote:
> Le Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:46:48 +0000,
> Shawn Edwards <lesser.evil at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017, 11:07 David Turner <drakonstein at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not going to lie.  This makes me dislike Bluestore quite a
>>> bit.  Using multiple OSDs to an SSD journal allowed for you to
>>> monitor the write durability of the SSD and replace it without
>>> having to out and re-add all of the OSDs on the device.  Having to
>>> now out and backfill back onto the HDDs is awful and would have
>>> made a time when I realized that 20 journal SSDs all ran low on
>>> writes at the same time nearly impossible to recover from.
>>>
>>> Flushing journals, replacing SSDs, and bringing it all back online
>>> was a slick process.  Formatting the HDDs and backfilling back onto
>>> the same disks sounds like a big regression.  A process to migrate
>>> the WAL and DB onto the HDD and then back off to a new device would
>>> be very helpful.

>> This.  Exactly this.  Not being able to move the .db and .wal data on
>> and off the main storage disk on Bluestore is a regression.
>>
> Hello,
>
> What stops you from dd'ing the DB/WAL's partitions on another disk and
> updating the symlinks in the OSD's mount point under /var/lib/ceph/osd?

this probably works when you deployed bluestore with partitions, but if
you did not create partitions for block.db on orginal bluestore creation
there is no block.db symlink, db and wal are mixed into the block
partition and not easy to extract.  also just dd the block device may
not help if you want to change the size of the db partition. this needs
more testing.  probably tools can be created in the future for resizing
db and wal partitions, and for extracting db data from block into a
separate block.db partition.

dd block.db would probably work when you need to replace a worn out ssd
drive. but not so much if you want to deploy separate block.db from a
bluestore made without block.db

kind regards
Ronny Aasen