[ceph-users] Journal / WAL drive size?

Richard Hesketh richard.hesketh at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 08:16:43 PST 2017

On 23/11/17 16:13, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi Caspar,
>
> Thanx. I don't see any mention that it's a bad idea to have the WAL and DB on the same SSD, but I guess it could improve performance?

It's not that it's a bad idea to put WAL and DB on the same device - it's that if not otherwise specified the WAL is automatically included in the same partition with the metadata DB, so there is no point to making them go in different partitions on the same device unless you are specifically doing testing/debugging and it's helpful to split them out so you can watch them separately. Just use the --block.db argument without --block.wal mentioned at all.

Rich