[ceph-users] ceph-disk is now deprecated

Joao Eduardo Luis joao at suse.de
Tue Nov 28 04:38:36 PST 2017

On 11/28/2017 11:54 AM, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:12 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido at 42on.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Op 27 november 2017 om 14:36 schreef Alfredo Deza <adeza at redhat.com>:
>>>

>>> For the upcoming Luminous release (12.2.2), ceph-disk will be
>>> officially in 'deprecated' mode (bug fixes only). A large banner with
>>> deprecation information has been added, which will try to raise
>>> awareness.
>>>

>> As much as I like ceph-volume and the work being done, is it really a good idea to use a minor release to deprecate a tool?
>>
>> Can't we just introduce ceph-volume and deprecate ceph-disk at the release of M? Because when you upgrade to 12.2.2 suddenly existing integrations will have deprecation warnings being thrown at them while they haven't upgraded to a new major version.
>
> ceph-volume has been present since the very first release of Luminous,
> the deprecation warning in ceph-disk is the only "new" thing
> introduced for 12.2.2.

I think Wido's question still stands: why can't ceph-disk be deprecated
solely in M, and removed by N?

I get that it probably seems nuts to support ceph-disk and ceph-volume;
and by deprecating and removing in (less than) a full release cycle will
force people to actually move from one to the other. But we're also
doing it when roughly 4 months away from Mimic being frozen.

This is the sort of last minute overall, core, changes that are not
expected from a project that should be as mature as Ceph. This is not
some internal feature that users won't notice - we're effectively
changing the way users deploy and orchestrate their clusters.

   -Joao