[ceph-users] ceph-disk is now deprecated

Daniel Baumann daniel.baumann at bfh.ch
Thu Nov 30 05:22:22 PST 2017

On 11/30/17 14:04, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> point is - you should not purposefully attempt to annoy users and/or
> downstreams by changing behaviour in the middle of an LTS release cycle,

exactly. upgrading the patch level (x.y.z to x.y.z+1) should imho never
introduce a behaviour-change, regardless if it's "just" adding new
warnings or not.

this is a stable update we're talking about, even more so since it's an
LTS release. you never know how people use stuff (e.g. by parsing stupid
things), so such behaviour-change will break stuff for *some* people
(granted, most likely a really low number).

my expection to an stable release is, that it stays, literally, stable.
that's the whole point of having it in the first place. otherwise we
would all be running git snapshots and update randomly to newer ones.

adding deprecation messages in mimic makes sense, and getting rid of
it/not provide support for it in mimic+1 is reasonable.

Regards,
Daniel