[ceph-users] Duplicate snapid's

Kjetil Joergensen kjetil at medallia.com
Thu Nov 30 12:04:33 PST 2017

Hi,

we currently do not understand how we got into this situation, nevertheless
we have a set of rbd images which has the same SNAPID in the same pool.

kjetil at sc2-r10-u09:~$ rbd snap ls _qa-staging_foo_partial_db
SNAPID NAME               SIZE
478104 2017-11-29.001 20000 MB
kjetil at sc2-r10-u09:~$ rbd snap ls _qa-staging_bar_decimated_be
SNAPID NAME               SIZE
478104 2017-11-27.001 30720 kB

(We have a small collection of these)

I currently believe this is bad - is this correct that this is bad ?

My rudimentary understanding is that snapid is monotonically increasing,
and unique within a pool. At which point this is bad at the point a
snapshot gets removed, snapid would get put into removed_snaps, and at some
point the osd's would go trimming and might prematurely get rid of clones.

Cheers,
--
Kjetil Joergensen <kjetil at medallia.com>
SRE, Medallia Inc