[ceph-users] radosgw notify on creation/deletion of file in bucket

David Turner drakonstein at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 09:58:50 PDT 2017

Just to make sure you're not confusing redundancy with backups.  Having
your data in another site does not back up your data, but makes it more
redundant.  For instance if an object/file is accidentally deleted from RGW
and you're syncing those files to AWS, Google buckets, or a second RGW
cluster in another datacenter... the file is still deleted on the second
site and you can't use the second site to restore the file.

If you're looking for a second site for redundancy in case the first site
goes down, I personally use a second ceph cluster in another datacenter
using RGW multisite.  That way I can easily change my public LBs to point
to a single datacenter while performing upgrades or testing settings.

There is the ability to snapshot pools and objects for backups, but make
sure you read up on that before jumping on the band-wagon to make sure that
your configuration and use case won't feel the pain points of snapshots.