[ceph-users] Luminous cluster stuck when adding monitor

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Wed Oct 4 04:08:45 PDT 2017

Good morning,

we have recently upgraded our kraken cluster to luminous and since then
noticed an odd behaviour: we cannot add a monitor anymore.

As soon as we start a new monitor (server2), ceph -s and ceph -w start to hang.

The situation became worse, since one of our staff stopped an existing
monitor (server1), as restarting that monitor results in the same
situation, ceph -s hangs until we stop the monitor again.

We kept the monitor running for some minutes, but the situation never
cleares up.

The network does not have any firewall in between the nodes and there
are no host firewalls.

I have attached the output of the monitor on server1, running in
foreground using

root at server1:~# ceph-mon -i server1 --pid-file  /var/lib/ceph/run/mon.server1.pid -c /etc/ceph/ceph.conf --cluster ceph --setuser ceph --setgroup ceph -d 2>&1 | tee cephmonlog

Does anyone see any obvious problem in the attached log?

Any input or hint would be appreciated!

Best,

Nico