[ceph-users] EC Metadata Pool Storage

Jason Dillaman jdillama at redhat.com
Thu Nov 1 05:46:24 PDT 2018

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 12:46 AM Ashley Merrick <singapore at amerrick.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a small EC Pool I am using with RBD to store a bunch of large files attached to some VM's for personal storage use.
>
> Currently I have the EC Meta Data Pool on some SSD's, I have noticed even though the EC Pool has TB's of data in the metadata pool is only in the 2MB Range.
>
> My question is would the EC performance benefit from the metadata being on NVME (I am guessing the I/O is lots of tiny read's and writes), or is the performance required for the metadata pool tiny and does not yield any real benefit from different underlying storage (SATA/SSD/NVME)

The metadata that RBD stores on the replicated pool is, in general,
not used during IO operations. Instead, it's key/value pairs that are
used to define the layout and settings of the image. The object-map is
also stored on the metadata pool, but in general the cost of updating
the object map is amortized over multiple writes.

> Thanks

Jason