[ceph-users] Should OSD write error result in damaged filesystem?

Bryan Henderson bryanh at giraffe-data.com
Sat Nov 3 12:21:54 PDT 2018

I had a filesystem rank get damaged when the MDS had an error writing the log
to the OSD.  Is damage expected when a log write fails?

According to log messages, an OSD write failed because the MDS attempted
to write a bigger chunk than the OSD's maximum write size.  I can probably
figure out why that happened and fix it, but OSD write failures can happen for
lots of reasons, and I would have expected the MDS just to discard the recent
filesystem updates, issue a log message, and keep going.  The user had
presumably not been told those updates were committed.

And how do I repair this now?  Is this a job for

  cephfs-journal-tool event recover_dentries
  cephfs-journal-tool journal reset

?

This is Jewel.

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California