[ceph-users] inexplicably slow bucket listing at top level

Graham Allan gta at umn.edu
Mon Nov 5 15:56:53 PST 2018

Thanks both Matt and Eric,

That is really interesting. I do tend to use "mc" since it can handle
multiple keys readily (eg when a user reports a problem). It was
noticable that when getting the recursive listing of the "slow" bucket
using mc, the output did appear in a "chunked" manner, consistent with
the description of having to fetch the object list from all 32 shards,
sort/select and repeat.

I do remember seeing something about the new ability to list buckets
unsorted - we are running luminous; probably would have been 12.2.7 at
the time of writing. I assume it must need client-side support... not
yet there in current mc, or s3cmd 2.01.

However I'm pretty sure that the original user in question was using
s3cmd. Sorry if that seems like misdirection, it was just easier for me
to reproduce with mc. The strange disparity between listing the bucket
"root", and subdirectories, also takes place for non-recursive listings.

I can reproduce the slow response using s3cmd (using just a few samples
for timing data):

> [~] % time ./s3cmd-fried ls s3://friedlab/ >                        DIR   s3://friedlab/impute/
>                        DIR   s3://friedlab/wgs/

real    varies from 2m44.137s - 7m53.282s

> [~] % time ./s3cmd-fried ls s3://friedlab/impute/
>                        DIR   s3://friedlab/impute/illumina-affy/
>                        DIR   s3://friedlab/impute/illumina-wgs/

real    varies from 0m0.558s - 0m3.884s

> [~] % time ./s3cmd-fried ls s3://friedlab/wgs/
>                        DIR   s3://friedlab/wgs/amst/
(snip, but 42 dirs total)
>                        DIR   s3://friedlab/wgs/yrkt/

real    varies from 0m2.506s - 0m21.250s

Also, of the 2 subtrees inside the bucket, they seem to contain 4281 and
20443 objects - which doesn't seem like a pathological number.

I'll need to look at "mc" more carefully - I'm getting more inconsistent
results than I remember from it right now.

Thanks,

Graham