[ceph-users] ceph 12.2.9 release

Simon Ironside sironside at caffetine.org
Wed Nov 7 08:10:30 PST 2018

On 07/11/2018 15:39, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:58 AM Simon Ironside <sironside at caffetine.org
> <mailto:sironside at caffetine.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 07/11/2018 10:59, Konstantin Shalygin wrote:
>     >> I wonder if there is any release announcement for ceph 12.2.9
>     that I missed.
>     >> I just found the new packages on download.ceph.com
>     <http://download.ceph.com>, is this an official
>     >> release?
>     >
>     > This is because 12.2.9 have a several bugs. You should avoid to
>     use this
>     > release and wait for 12.2.10
>
>     Argh! What's it doing in the repos then?? I've just upgraded to it!
>     What are the bugs? Is there a thread about them?
>

> If you’ve already upgraded and have no issues then you won’t have any
> trouble going forward — except perhaps on the next upgrade, if you do
> it while the cluster is unhealthy.

Thanks, the upgrade went fine and I've no known issues. The only warning
I have is about too many PGs per OSD which is my fault not ceph's. I
trust that doesn't count as a reason not to proceed to 13.2.2?

> I agree that it’s annoying when these issues make it out. We’ve had
> ongoing discussions to try and improve the release process so it’s
> less drawn-out and to prevent these upgrade issues from making it
> through testing, but nobody has resolved it yet. If anybody has
> experience working with deb repositories and handling releases, the
> Ceph upstream could use some help... ;)

Totally, I get that this happens from time to time but once a bad
release is known why not just delete the affected packages from the
official repos? That seems to me to be a really easy step to take
especially if release announcements haven't been sent, docs.ceph.com
hasn't been updated yet etc. I reposync --newest-only the RPMs from the
official repos to my own then update my ceph hosts from there which is
how I ended up with 12.2.9.

Simon