[ceph-users] Memory configurations

Georgios Dimitrakakis giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr
Wed Nov 21 13:30:12 PST 2018

 Hello,

 I would like to see people's opinion about memory configurations.
 Would you prefer 2x8GB over 1x16GB or the opposite?

 In addition what are the latest memory recommendations? Should we
 should keep the rule of thumb of 1GB per TB
 or now with Bluestore things have changed?

 I am planning to build from scratch a small new cluster with 3replicas
 on 3OSD nodes with 4TB (2x2TB SSDs) per node, for now. The plan is to
 expand the cluster in the near future by adding more 2TB SSDs. OSD nodes
 will also be monitor nodes.
 The primary usage will be for RBD provision to OpenStack.

 Are 16GB enough for this and on what configuration (2x8GB vs 1x16GB)?
 Should I go better for 32GB and what is the preferred configuration
 (4x8GB vs 1x32GB) in this case.

 As for the CPUs the plan is for dual socket with 2x Intel Xeon Silver
 4114 2.2G, 10C/20T

 Looking forward for your opinions!

 Best regards,

 G.