[ceph-users] Should ceph build against libcurl4 for Ubuntu 18.04 and later?

Matthew Vernon mv3 at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 04:40:59 PST 2018

Hi,

The ceph.com ceph luminous packages for Ubuntu Bionic still depend on
libcurl3 (specifically ceph-common, radosgw. librgw2 all depend on
libcurl3 (>= 7.28.0)).

This means that anything that depends on libcurl4 (which is the default
libcurl in bionic) isn't co-installable with ceph. That includes the
"curl" binary itself, which we've been using in a number of our scripts
/ tests / etc. I would expect this to make ceph-test uninstallable on
Bionic also...

...so shouldn't ceph packages for Bionic and later releases be compiled
against libcurl4 (and thus Depend upon it)? The same will apply to the
next Debian release, I expect.

The curl authors claim the API doesn't have any incompatible changes.

Regards,

Matthew
[the two packages libcurl3 and libcurl4 are not co-installable because
libcurl3 includes a libcurl.so.4 for historical reasons :-( ]

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research