[ceph-users] Customized Crush location hooks in Mimic

Oliver Freyermuth freyermuth at physik.uni-bonn.de
Fri Nov 30 02:44:51 PST 2018

Dear Cephalopodians,

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I am at a loss here on how to actually make use of a customized crush location hook.

I'm currently on "ceph version 13.2.1" on CentOS 7 (i.e. the last version before the upgrade-preventing bugs). Here's what I did:

1. Write a script /usr/local/bin/customized-ceph-crush-location. The script can be executed by user "ceph":
   # sudo -u ceph /usr/local/bin/customized-ceph-crush-location
   host=osd001 datacenter=FTD root=default

2. Add the following to ceph.conf:
  [osd]
  crush_location_hook = /usr/local/bin/customized-ceph-crush-location

3. Restart an OSD and confirm that is picked up:
  # systemctl restart ceph-osd at 0
  # ceph config show-with-defaults osd.0
   crush_location_hook        /usr/local/bin/customized-ceph-crush-location  file
   osd_crush_update_on_start  true                                           default

However, the script is not executed, and I can ensure that since the script should also write a log to /tmp, which is not created.
Also, the "datacenter" type does not show up in the crush tree.

I have already disabled SELinux just to make sure.

Any ideas what I am missing here?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
	Oliver