[ceph-users] QEMU/Libvirt + librbd issue using Luminous 12.2.7

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Tue Oct 2 11:09:04 PDT 2018


On 2018/10/02 2:03 pm, Andre Goree wrote:
> On 2018/10/02 1:54 pm, Jason Dillaman wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM Andre Goree <andre at drenet.net> wrote:
>>> 
>>> 
>>> I'm actually not so sure the libvirt user has write access to the
>>> location -- will libvirt automatically try to write to the file 
>>> (given
>>> that it's a setting in ceph.conf)?
>>> 
>>> I just confirmed that the libvirt-qemu user could NOT write to the
>>> location I have defined (/var/log/ceph_client.log).
>>> 
>>> After adjusting perms though, I still have nothing printed in the 
>>> logs
>>> except the creation.
>> 
>> Technically, libvirt will just use QEMU's monitor protocol to instruct
>> an already running QEMU instance to attach the device. Therefore, it
>> really comes down to the permissions of that QEMU process.
>> 
> 
>> --
>> Jason
> 
> Very true, thanks for clarifying that.  In any case, I changed the
> ceph client log location to a world readable/writeable location
> (/tmp/ceph_client.log) and still am not getting in the log regarding
> the attach, _only_ the creation.
> 
> Do I need to explicitly adjust the location of the qemu logs somehow?
> In fact, I didn't even think to add debugging to qemu nor libvirt, do
> you happen to know off-hand where to configure that?  I'm sure I have
> logs in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/* already, let me see what I can come up
> with...
> 
> 
> --
> Andre Goree
> -=-=-=-=-=-
> Email     - andre at drenet.net
> Website   - http://blog.drenet.net
> PGP key   - http://www.drenet.net/pubkey.html
> -=-=-=-=-=-
> _______________________________________________
> ceph-users mailing list
> ceph-users at lists.ceph.com
> http://lists.ceph.com/listinfo.cgi/ceph-users-ceph.com


I figured this out, thanks for the help.  Definite PEBKAC error here.  
Here's the relevant part of my qemu logs:

server name not found:  (Name or service not known)
unable to parse addrs in 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6789;:6789;:6789'
server name not found:  (Name or service not known)
unable to parse addrs in 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6789;:6789;:6789'
server name not found:  (Name or service not known)
unable to parse addrs in 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6789;:6789;:6789'

In my xml, I'm defining three MONs, but only giving an IP for one 
(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, redacted).  Some change in 12.2.4 to 12.2.5 must cause 
qemu or ceph or both to be more stringent on the server names (bc the 
same configuration worked on 12.2.4), of course with good reason.

Sorry for wasting your and everyone else's time, thanks again for the 
help.

-- 
Andre Goree
-=-=-=-=-=-
Email     - andre at drenet.net
Website   - http://blog.drenet.net
PGP key   - http://www.drenet.net/pubkey.html
-=-=-=-=-=-


More information about the ceph-users mailing list