[ceph-users] EC pool spread evenly across failure domains?

Mark Johnston mark at protectchildren.ca
Tue Oct 2 11:35:45 PDT 2018

I have the following setup in a test cluster:

 -1       8.49591 root default
-15       2.83197     chassis vm1
 -3       1.41599         host ceph01
  0   ssd 1.41599             osd.0
 -5       1.41599         host ceph02
  1   ssd 1.41599             osd.1
-19       2.83197     chassis vm2
 -7       1.41599         host ceph03
  2   ssd 1.41599             osd.2
 -9       1.41599         host ceph04
  3   ssd 1.41599             osd.3
-20       2.83197     chassis vm3
-11       1.41599         host ceph05
  4   ssd 1.41599             osd.4
-13       1.41599         host ceph06
  5   ssd 1.41599             osd.5

I created an EC pool with k=4 m=2 and crush-failure-domain=chassis.  The PGs
are stuck in creating+incomplete with only 3 assigned OSDs each.  I'm assuming
this is because using crush-failure-domain=chassis requires a different chassis
for every chunk.

I don't want to switch to k=2 m=1 because I want to be able to survive two OSD
failures, and I don't want to use crush-failure-domain=host because I don't want
more than two chunks to be placed on the same chassis.  (The production cluster
will have more than two hosts per chassis, so crush-failure-domain=host could
put all 6 chunks on the same chassis.)

Do I need to write a custom CRUSH rule to get this to happen?  Or have I missed
something?

Thanks,
Mark