[sepia] cloud usage audit

Sage Weil sweil at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 15:04:23 PDT 2018

Hi David, everyone,

Sometime soon I'm hoping we can take a careful look at what cloud
resources we're using (at OVH or elsewhere) so we can (1) see what there
is, (2) see if it is all necessary or if some of it can be scaled back,
and (3) get a handle on what the underlying requirements are.

A few different organizations have suggested that they can donate some
cloud resources.  Any VMs we can shift over to those other clouds would
let us reduce our costs (or get more work done).  The first step is to see
what we have and have a clear set of requirements to share so we know what
is involved to make use of those resources!

Among other things, I have a suspicion that the teuthology worker nodes on
OVH are underutilized.  Maybe we can scale that back, or figure out a way
to scale up/down on demand?  It's expensive, and we're about to have a lot
more eyes on the spend and questions about what is/isn't necessary than we
have now :).

Thanks!
sage